- Drink good, quality bottled water (not coffee, soda, etc.).
A good rule-of-thumb to determine how much you need to drink per day is 1/2 your body weight in ounces. For example, if I weigh 120 lbs., I would need to drink 60oz. per day. A standard glass is 8oz., therefore I need 7 ½ glasses per day.
- Take a quality multivitamin, such as Multigenics from Metagenics.
- Take antioxidants, if not already part of your multivitamin: vitamin C (3000 mg.), selenium (200 mcg.), beta carotene (10,000 IU), zinc (15 mg.), vitamin E (400 IU), vitamin D (1000 IU).
- Take a probiotic, preferably in powder form, such as Metagenics’ Ultra Flora. Start with 1/4 t. daily; if you experience upset stomach or diarrhea, cut back to 1/8 t. daily. Remember to refrigerate your probiotics!
- Use garlic as frequently as possible (i.e., in soups, salads, pasta, etc.). Raw, fresh garlic is the most beneficial.
- If you suffer from low blood sugar and/or sugar cravings, consider taking 200 mcg. chromium picolinate.
- Try Metagenics’ Apatite with Magnesium in 2:1 ratio (2 cal/1 mag) or any AAA Calcium.
-Take 700 mg. calcium citrate or calcium hydroxyl.
-If post menopausal, take 1000 mg. calcium.
-Take 700 mg. calcium.
If you feel an illness starting:
In addition to the above routine, add:
- Echinacea tincture (in stock at our office)
- Coldcalm, if symptoms are definitely those of a cold
- Increase consumption of raw garlic, if possible (or else add to soup, etc.)
- Eliminate citrus, such as oranges/orange juice
- Eliminate sweets, including fruit juice, except for 2 whole fruits per day
- Eliminate dairy products
- Increase vitamin C to 1,000 mg. every 3 hours (if stomach can tolerate) until you are completely well
- Appropriate homeopathic remedy (call our office)